Indoor mats can make a big difference in any home. Not only do they help trap dirt, debris, and moisture at your entrances, but they also allow you to add style and visual interest to your interior décor. With so many options available, from coir mats to rubber mats to welcome mats, how do you choose the right type of indoor mat for your needs?
This article will provide an overview of the most popular kinds of indoor mats, outlining the benefits of each. We’ll look at key factors to consider when selecting an indoor mat, from size and shape to materials and construction. Read on to learn which type of indoor mat is best for entrances, kitchens, bedrooms, and more in your home.
Table of Contents
Purpose of Indoor Mats
Before exploring the different types, let’s consider why indoor mats can be so useful:
- Cleanliness – Outdoor dirt, mud, snow, and rain can easily be tracked inside. High-quality indoor mats trap this debris to keep floors cleaner.
- Safety – Wet, dirty, or dusty floors are slipping hazards. Indoor mats provide secure, slip-resistant footing.
- Hygiene – Bacteria and germs enter on shoes. Indoor mats help stop contaminants at the door.
- Comfort – Cushioned mats add softness underfoot in places like kitchens or bathrooms where you stand a lot.
- Style – Decorative mats allow you to add colour, texture, and visual appeal.
- Durability – With heavy foot traffic, quality mats withstand wear and tear better than flooring alone.
Knowing the benefits will help zero in on the right type of mat for high traffic areas or to serve specific functions in your home.
Types of Indoor Mats
Now let’s explore some of the most popular options when it comes to indoor mats:
Coir (or coconut fibre) mats are a natural fibre made from the outer husks of coconuts.
- Extremely effective at trapping dirt and moisture, coir mats have an excellent scraping action to clean shoes.
- With natural microbial properties, coir inhibits bacteria, mould, and mildew growth.
- Coir comes in various sizes, depths, and colours to suit any space. Common options include roll matting and individually sized mats.
- Sustainable and biodegradable, coir mats work well for eco-friendly homes.
- Softer underfoot than some synthetic mat options.
Rubber mats offer excellent durability:
- Made of moulded rubber with non-slip textures, they are extremely slip resistant wet or dry.
- Heavy-duty construction stands up well to heavy foot traffic and wear.
- Very resistant to all the UK weather can throw at them.
- Popular options include ribbed roll matting and scraper mats for catching debris.
- Rubber mats are easy to clean by hosing or scrubbing.
Polypropylene is a synthetic plastic polymer used in the face fabric to create durable indoor mats:
- Very effective at trapping dirt and absorbing moisture. Polypropylene does not mildew or rot.
- Moulded construction creates scraping ridges to help clean shoes.
- Typically more affordable than natural fibre options.
- Polypropylene mats come in various colours and sizes. Popular options are heavy duty entrance mats and runners.
Anti-Fatigue Kitchen Mats
In kitchens, garages, workshops, and other standing areas, anti-fatigue mats provide extra comfort:
- Cushioning mats reduce pressure and ease strain on feet, legs, back, and joints during prolonged standing.
- Materials like closed cell foam, PVC, and rubber provide shock absorption and support.
- Some feature fabric tops for extra softness and a less ‘industrial’ look.
- Look for bevelled edges and non-slip backing to prevent tripping hazards.
- Most can stand up to grease, oils, water, and chemicals and are easy to clean.
Wet Area Mats
In bathrooms, shower areas, and other wet zones, specialised matting helps prevent slips:
- Absorbent materials quickly soak up water and allow it to drain away rather than pooling.
- Materials like vinyl and rubber provide durable, non-slip traction even when wet.
- Features like drainage holes and raised nubs give secure footing.
- Antimicrobial properties inhibit mould and bacteria growth.
- Wet area mats come in roll formats or sized mats to fit around sinks, showers, pools, etc.
Beyond these common indoor mat types, many other speciality options exist:, which makes the list of indoor mats almost endless.
- Decorative printed logo mats
- Cushy memory foam options
- Outdoor mats suitable for covered porches
- Chair mats for desk areas
- Electrical mats for server rooms
- And much more!
Explore your options to find solutions tailored to your exact needs.
Choosing the Best Indoor Mat
With all these possibilities, keep the following tips in mind when selecting indoor mats:
- Choose the appropriate size – measure the space and, where possible, add extra length for people to take multiple steps.
- Ensure mats have bevelled edges to avoid tripping hazards.
- Select materials suited to the type of traffic – heavy-duty mats for high traffic zones, cushioned mats for standing areas, etc.
- Match the mat to the function whether it’s trapping dirt, absorbing moisture, adding comfort, or décor.
- Consider ease of cleaning based on material, construction, and placement.
- Choose backings suitable for the floor surface – vinyl floors, tile, carpet, wood, etc.
- Factor in your budget – prices range widely based on material and construction.
By taking into account these key considerations, you’re sure to find the perfect indoor mats to suit your home.
Find the Perfect Indoor Mats
Indoor mats are available in a diverse range of styles, materials, sizes, and colours to meet any need. Now that you know about the many types and their benefits, you can make an informed choice about the best options for around front doors, kitchens, garages, bathrooms, and other areas in your home.
Quality indoor mats serve important functions like trapping dirt and moisture, absorbing spills, providing comfort underfoot, and adding decorative flair. Investing in long-lasting mats from trusted brands pays off over time by keeping floors cleaner and safer.
For a top selection of indoor mats for homes and businesses, visit Trusted Mats. We offer all the types of matting profiled here, plus expert advice to help you find the perfect fit.
If you need any guidance with selecting the ideal mats for your space, get in touch. Our team is ready to answer questions and recommend the best options for your specific needs. Invest in indoor mats that check all the boxes for performance, ease of care, and style.