A Step by Step Guide
Coir is incredibly versatile entrance matting. It can be loose laid (placed on top of your floor), or cut and fit into a recess or floor area. If you need to cut and install coir matting, it is relatively simple to accomplish without the need for hiring a professional. All you need are the right tools and a bit of confidence at DIY. The estimated completion time for this project is one hour.
Follow our simple step by step guide below. Alternatively watch our 3 minute video guide ‘How to Cut and Install Coir Matting’ here.
- Pen and paper
- Tape measure
- Utility knife with sharp blade
- Marker / Sharpie
- Steel cutting rule
Make a Diagram and Measure Up
- Draw a quick diagram of the area where you will install the coir mat
- If you have a rectangular area it makes it a lot easier to cut and install coir matting, but measure all sides accurately because it may not be a perfect rectangle with 90 degree angles
- Mark any tricky areas where you may need to do additional cuts
- Add all of your measurements to the diagram
- Finally measure the clearance depth beneath the door as it opens over the mat. The door should not brush over the mat. If it does order a thinner depth of coir
Order your Coir Matting
- Order a piece of coir larger than the total area so you can cut and trim it to the correct size
- Coir matting tends to be sold cut from a roll of 1m or 2m width, cut to the length you require
- See the Trusted Mats website for our Coir Matting range
Unpack the Coir Matting
- Clear a space to work in comfortably
- Open the package with scissors or a knife, but be careful not to cut into or damage the coir matting
- Roll the mat out flat
- Remove any tape off the base of the mat
- Don’t worry about the curled edges which will soon flatten out during the following steps
- Flip the coir on to its reverse, so the backing is facing upwards
Make your Cutting Marks
- Referring to your diagram, use the marker to mark out where you will cut the reverse of the mat
- IMPORTANT: Because you have flipped the mat you will be doing a mirror image of your measurements. So swap your measurements left to right, right to left.
Cut your Coir Matting
- Line your steel cutting rule up with the markings and use your utility knife to cut through the reverse of the mat
- IMPORTANT: Be careful not to scratch your floor beneath the mat. You only need to cut through the backing which is only a few mm thick. You may wish to retract the blade in your utility knife so it cannot reach the floor or place something underneath the mat to protect your floor
- Peel away and discard the off cuts
Install your Coir Matting
- Fit your mat into the intended location
- Trim to finish as required to ensure the mat fits snugly and lays totally flat
- Vacuum clean or brush the mat to remove any loose fibres
- Great job, you’re finished – stand back and admire a job well done!
Ready to Cut and Install Coir Matting?
Now you’ve learned how to cut and install coir matting, order premium commercial grade coir from Trusted Mats. Our range of Premium Coir Roll matting is available in depths ranging from 13 – 30mm and 8 colour options to suit your décor.